Home School Science Club
Our philosophy at Little Beakers is that the best way for children to learn about science is to not just see it being demonstrated and talked about, or to read about it in text books, but to actually touch it and experience it themselves.
To that end, Little Beakers owner and polymers chemist, Cinttya Morgan, has developed a comprehensive 3-level science curriculum that caters to children of ages 6 to 16. Weekly classes incorporate Periodic Table group, element and molecule study/discussion, molecular modeling, a hands-on lab session, and the recording of results and observations in weekly reports.
Scroll down to see details on our Home School Science Club.
- One 50-minute class per week September 5th - May 26th *
- Learning gained from hands-on experimental activities will be enhanced through the use of microscopes, learning about atoms and molecular building models and study of the periodic table
- Complete transcript of material covered that can be used for credit provided upon request
- Three levels are available (details below)
- Tuition is $65/month
- 20% tuition discount for each additional sibling
- Registration/materials fee of $50 per child (capped at $70 per family)
- First month's tuition and materials/registration fee due at time of registration to reserve your child's space
- Flexible registration available - sign up for just one month...or more!
* See all the weeks for the school year here.
Elemental Level Particulars
Recommended for 6-9 year old OR for older students that need to cover all the basic science concepts.
Disciplines covered include chemistry, physics, physical-chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, electrochemistry and others.
One group from the periodic table of the elements to be featured monthly.
One element and molecule to be featured weekly.
Choose from one of the following Level 1 sessions:
- Monday 10:30 am - 11:20 am OR 2:10 pm - 3:00 pm
- Thursday 9:30 am - 10:20 am OR 2:10 pm - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday 10:30 am - 11:20 am OR 2:10 pm - 3:00 pm
- Friday 9:30 am - 10:20 am OR 2:10 pm - 3:00 pm
Subatomic Level Particulars
Recommended for 10-13 year old or offered to students who have demonstrated a sufficient understanding of the concepts covered in the Elemental Level.
In addition to the disciplines covered in the Elemental level above, Subatomic level will have a stronger emphasis on physics, physical chemistry and microbiology for the hands-on portion of the class.
Delves into more advanced chemistry and physics topics including reactions, molecular interactions and subatomic particle studies.
Choose from the following options:
- Monday 11:30 am - 12:20 pm
- Thursday 10:30 am - 11:20 am
- Tuesday 11:30 am - 12:20 pm
- Friday 10:30 am - 11:20 am
Molecular Level Particulars
Recommended for 13 + age group or offered to students who have demonstrated a sufficient understanding of the concepts covered in the Elemental and Subatomic levels above.
In addition to the disciplines covered in the Subatomic level above, the Molecular level will look at advanced physics and focus on biochemistry, studying in great detail the chemical processes of living organisms.
Students will be introduced to, explore and research important present-day topics such as biotechnology, molecular chemistry, toxicity and bio-luminescence, among others.
- Thursday 11:30 am - 12:20 pm
- Friday 11:30 am - 12:20 pm